What is a superfood?
Superfoods are nutrient dense foods with high doses of antioxidants, vitamins and healthy fats that boost overall health. Antioxidants protect the body from chemicals and pollutants as well as diseases, such as cardiovascular disease and some cancers. Antioxidant packed superfoods are beneficial to anyone’s diet. Superfoods come in many forms (even chocolate), so Velapoint Insurance is confident that you will find a treat to enjoy from the list below.
Superfoods lower the risk of heart disease.
If your doctor has discussed cardiovascular health with you recently, don’t be afraid. A balanced diet and physical exercise can reverse potential heart health issues pretty easily. Your physician has most likely mentioned foods to avoid for strong heart health, such as those containing high amounts of salt, saturated fats, trans fats and artificial or added sugars. By integrating the following superfoods into your diet, it is possible to decrease blood sugar levels, control weight gain and lower cholesterol.
Improve your lifestyle with these nine superfoods.
Velapoint Insurance has gathered the following list of superfoods to help you feel like a super you! Do any of these options excite your taste buds?
- Dark Chocolate – Loaded with antioxidants, dark chocolate improves blood flow and decreases high blood pressure. Dark chocolate is also known to lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease and even diabetes while tasting absolutely delicious.
- Avocados – Have you ever heard of healthy fats? Avocados are full of them. Heart-healthy fats lower the risk of diabetes and heart disease, cholesterol levels and blood triglycerides. Avocados have high amounts of fiber, which helps regulate weight and potassium to reduce blood pressure levels. There are many ways to enjoy an avocado. Slide one on top of an omelet, spread it on toast or crackers or enjoy on a sandwich.
- Berries – Are you a fruit lover? If so, Velapoint has good news for you! Delicious berries contain anthocyanin, a powerful antioxidant found in grapes, blueberries, black currants and black raspberries. Eating berries can lower blood pressure, improve blood vessel function and even fight signs of aging. Next time you’re craving something sweet, opt for a bowl of fresh berries to fulfill your sweet tooth and boost your heart health.
- Green Tea – This energizing beverage is full of health benefits from promoting weight loss to preventing cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Green tea is antioxidant rich and has more health promotion than black or oolong tea due to the streaming process of its green tea leaves. Green tea includes Vitamin B, caffeine, potassium, folate and catechins to fight heart disease and reduce cholesterol while giving you a boost during a long afternoon at work.
- Quinoa – This powerful seed contains high amounts of protein and fiber as well as anti-viral, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and even anti-depressant benefits. Quinoa is a great weight loss food to incorporate to any lunch or dinner. Toss it on your salad or serve it alongside fresh fish or chicken for a heart-healthy dinner. Quinoa manages blood sugar levels and increases metabolism levels, which is great for weight loss goals and a healthier heart.
- Red wine – Being healthy has its perks. You’ll feel much better and still enjoy your glass of wine at dinner with your spouse or friends. Red wine is rich in polyphenols, which contain resveratrol, a plant compound proven to prevent blood clots. Remember, too much of anything is too much. Enjoying red wine in moderation can prevent artery damage and improve the cell layer that lines blood vessels. Cheers!
- Garlic – This delicious flavor booster has strong heart-healthy benefits when enjoyed in its raw form. Garlic powder and extracts are also great options with high amounts of Vitamin B6, manganese and Vitamin C. Garlic lowers risk of heart disease, heart attacks and strokes while fighting high blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Omega-3’s – Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in a variety of foods, including salmon, tuna, flaxseeds and walnuts. Omega-3’s are wonderful to incorporate into your diet due to their numerous health benefits, including:
- Reducing blood pressure
- Preventing plaque from hardening arteries
- Decreasing inflammation in the body
- Lowering triglyceride levels
- Preventing blood clot formulation
- Olive Oil – There are several different options of olive oil to boost a healthy heart. Olive oil contains Vitamin E, which lowers risk of cardiovascular disease by regulating blood sugar and boosting good cholesterol levels. Olive oil can be used in a variety of ways from salad dressings to sautéing and baking.
Maintain a healthy diet with moderation and control.
A healthy diet and lifestyle can bring energy, clarity and strength to your life when you control portions and incorporate healthy superfoods into the mix. Remember, moderation is key for a healthy lifestyle. Replacing all of your meals with green tea and garlic will not improve your health. Your body needs various vitamins, minerals and exercise to reach a consistent state of well-rounded health to boost energy levels, mental focus and allow you to be your healthiest self.
Stay healthy and balanced by eating these nine superfoods, and make an appointment for your yearly medical exam to check your blood pressure, weight and overall health. If you need to find a doctor near you, call Velapoint Insurance at 855-652-3171 to speak with a licensed agent about the best health insurance options for you!